The Dog Days of Summer have begun! Spend the last precious month of Summer exploring all San Diego has to offer. In terms of exhibits, there are many cool activities for the picking. Here are the 17 exhibits to see in San Diego in August:
- On the Fly: Technology Takes Off, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. See unmanned aerial vehicles fly and create your own aircraft at this interactive exhibit on flight technology. This exhibit just opened.
- Faces of Japan, Japanese Friendship Garden. We are so excited to see this exhibit with photos of everyday scenes in Japan. Just opened on August 1st.
- 22nd Annual Juried Exhibition, La Jolla Athenaeum. See the winners of one of the most prestigious juried shows in San Diego. Opens August 3rd and closes August 31st.
- Ecclectic Eyes, Spanish Village Art Center. See fine art photography at this free show in the Village’s Gallery 21. Opens August 14th and closes August 26th.
- 125 Years of the Hotel Del, Coronado Library. Maybe it’s because we love libraries and we love Coronado’s specifically, but there’s something so great about a public space that appreciates art and history. This is one cool show of San Diego history.
- Struck By Modernism, Mingei International Museum. Cool sculptures and other pieces by a blacksmith artist await you at this exhibit. It includes gates, chandeliers and free-standing sculpture. Opens August 24th.
- Intersections: Charles Arnoldi, Oceanside Museum of Art. See one of the most significant abstract artists of the last century before the exhibit closes on August 25th.
- Earthly Elements, Fallbrook Art Center. This exhibit features pieces made with earth/natural materials. See fiber arts, ceramics, wood art, gourds and more. Closes August 25th.
- Hito Steyerl: Guards, Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego: Downtown. Learn about the multiple lives of museum guards with this cool exhibition.
- Second Time Around: Fashion Recycled, Visions Art Museum. Explore designer pieces created from recycled materials with this exhibit. Two other exhibits close at the end of the month as well: Supporting Roles and Fashion Tops and Bottoms.
- ‘Dare to Reuse’ Student Art Exhibition, The New Children’s Museum. See the student winners of the ‘Dare to Reuse’ art contest. Closes August 26th.
- Landscapes Rediscovered, San Diego History Center. This exhibit displays beautiful landscapes by San Diego artists. Closes September 10th.
- Approximately Infinite Universe, Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego: La Jolla. Explore art by various artists inspired by the science fiction realm. Closes September 1st.
- Wonder Woman: On Paper and Off, Women’s Museum of California. Visit this exhibit to learn about the history of women in comics. Do it before September 1st when it closes!
- The Magic of Windansea, California Surf Museum. Learn about the famous Windansea Surf Club and see artifacts from their history. Closes September 1st.
- Deadly Waters 2013, Living Coast Discovery Center. See dangerous water animals up-close and personal! Closes September 2nd.
- Bold, San Diego Natural History Museum. Learn about the art of DNA barcoding with this interactive sculpture series. Closes September 8th.