Here are 10 fun things to do in San Diego this weekend (June 8 and June 9, 2013):
- Go to the San Diego County Fair! It’s that time of year! Opening day is Saturday and it only goes for a few weeks. Take advantage of it this weekend.
- See some exhibits. Opening this weekend: Car Toys at San Diego Automotive Museum, Second Time Around: Fashion Recycled at Visions Art Museum, Supporting Roles: Photographs & Fiber from Ann Scott at Visions Art Museum, 2013 Chinese Brush Painting Society Show at Spanish Art Village, Wonder Women: On Paper and Off at Women’s Museum of California, Intersections: Charles Arnoldi at Oceanside Museum of Art, Approximately Infinite Universe at Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego: La Jolla and The Magic of Windansea at California Surf Museum. Closing this weekend: Fallbrook Art Association’s Juried Show at Fallbrook Art Center and In Search of Shadows: James Hubbell Sculpture at Oceanside Museum of Art.
- Buy some pottery at the Potter’s Guild Spring Sale in Balboa Park. This event fills the entire Spanish Art Village all weekend and gives visitors the opportunity to talk to the artists and pick from thousands of pottery pieces to buy and bring home.
- Celebrate 5 years at the Little Italy Mercato. The Mercato has been in operation for 5 years as of Saturday. Go walk around the market to pick up local produce and participate in special festivities for the anniversary.
- Get your “opa” on at the San Diego Greek Festival all weekend long. Happening near Balboa Park, this annual event is full of food, drinks, dancing and fun.
- Discover eateries in the Gaslamp at the 20th Annual Taste of Gaslamp on Saturday and Sunday. 25 different eateries will be featured as well as a beer garden–get your tickets in advance for a discount!
- Watch the first night of The Merchant of Venice at The Old Globe on Sunday. The show is one of the three plays for the Shakespeare Festival this Summer at the Globe. After Sunday, this show’s regular schedule won’t start until the 25th.
- Hop in some cars at the Touch A Truck San Diego event on Saturday. Military cars, emergency vehicle cars, monster trucks, classic cars and more will take over Qualcomm Stadium. And you can climb in them all and pretend they’re your ride! Food, music and Star Wars characters running amok will await you!
- Tell a story on Sunday night at the Long Story Short event at Space 4 Art. Anyone can tell their unscripted 5 minute story for an audience at this free event or just listen to other performers as they relate their harrowing (but short!) tales.
- Experience the Lawn Program at the International Cottages in Balboa Park on Sunday. For this weekend’s Program, the House of Philippines hosts–they’re sure to have great music, food and dancing since they’re also celebrating Philippine Independence Day.