Here are 10 fun things to do in San Diego this weekend (May 4 and May 5, 2013):
- Fiesta for Cinco de Mayo. Check out our blog post on the Cinco de Mayo happenings this weekend!
- See some exhibits. Opening this weekend: Handcrafted Journeys: Japanese American Woodworkers in San Diego at the Japanese Friendship Garden and Object Lessons: Slice of Truth, the Reality of the Renaissance at the Timken Museum. Closing this weekend: San Diego Art Prize Exhibition at the La Jolla Athenaeum (Closes Saturday), Images of Time at Visions Art Museum (Closes May 9th), Hobie: Shaping a Culture at the California Surf Museum, SYNESTHESIA: Manifestations of Energy at the Oceanside Museum of Art and Bones, Butterflies and Dreams at the Centro Cultural de la Raza.
- Get some fresh air with Art in the Pines at Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve. Happening all weekend, this event will give visitors a chance to take nature tours of the Reserve, see some great artists competing in a Plein Air contest and relax in the beauty of Torrey Pines.
- Learn Steampunk at the Gaslight Gathering: Steampunk & Victoriana Convention today through Sunday. The annual convention takes place at the Town and Country Hotel and features concerts, parties, workshops and the art of Steampunk.
- Eat some chocolate! The Maritime Museum of San Diego is hosting a great chocolate party, the Chocolate Festival, this weekend. Pair chocolate with wine and beer, make a chocolate pizza and get a sugar high at this fun event.
- Have a family day at the Japanese Friendship Garden on Saturday. Children’s Day at the Garden will give visitors a chance to make crafts, munch on snacks and learn more about this national holiday of Japan.
- Buy local at the Homesteading Arts Festival at City Farmers Nursery on Sunday. Not only can you buy great foods, drinks and home goods, the artists and craftspeople behind the products will give tips and lessons on becoming a homesteader of your own! Love it!
- Make it a weekend at the Sage and Songbirds Festival at Viejas Outlets. There will be activities for the whole family, performances and lots and lots of crawly bugs.
- Go to the largest single day street fair in the county: the Carlsbad Village Faire. Happening on Sunday, this event is not to be missed!
- Step back in time at the Escondido Renaissance Faire this weekend. The Faire will give visitors a chance to eat old time foods, buy interesting gifts and pretend to be a full-blown old-timer!