“The best things in life are free.”
Free is fun! Luckily for us, San Diego has some great free events, exhibits and things to do. Here are some of the best free things to do in San Diego:
- Take a Balboa Park tour. They have many different tours of the Park including audio tours, architectural heritage tours and ranger-led tours. And they’re free! Learn more from the website.
- Go through Old Town. There’s a lot to see and do in the older part of San Diego!
- Tour the Botanical Building in Balboa Park. Closed on Thursdays.
- Visit the Timken Museum. Free all the time…except Mondays when it’s closed.
- Walk around Seaport Village. They even have free concerts on many Sundays and during the Summer.
- Come to Balboa Park on Residents Free Tuesdays. The first 4 Tuesdays of the month are free at varying museums in Balboa Park. Just bring a Military ID or ID proving a San Diego County address. For the schedule, click here.
- Go to the beach! There are a lot of them in San Diego. Some good ones: Silver Strand State Beach, Coronado Central Beach, La Jolla Shores, La Jolla Cove and Windansea Beach. Check out this beach guide.
- Stroll through the Farmer’s Markets. There’s at least one every day in San Diego. Check out the guide here.
- Be patriotic with a free tour of the U.S. Olympic Training Center. Available on Saturdays. For more, click here.
- Get cultured at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego. Both the Downtown and La Jolla locations offer free admission for anyone 25 years old or under. They also offer free admission for everyone on the third Thursday of the month from 5-7pm.
- Listen to a free concert at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion. Every Sunday at 2pm, there’s a free concert going on and many nights during the Summer.
- Visit the California Surf Museum on Tuesdays. Every Tuesday they are free for everyone.
- View local art at the Spanish Art Village in Balboa Park. Many working artist studios are located here.
- Play at The New Children’s Museum for free on the second Sunday of every month thanks to Target.
- Visit the libraries around San Diego. There’s a lot to do at each library beyond free reading and books. Many have art on view (like the Coronado Library) and free & fun events (like at the San Diego Public Libraries).
Do you know any great free happenings in San Diego?