Here are 10 fun things to do in San Diego this weekend (March 16 and March 17, 2013):
- Party with St. Patrick’s Day Festivities. We have the holiday on Sunday but festivities should start now! Check out our St. Patty’s Day Events in San Diego post for ideas.
- Learn through Science Family Day in Balboa Park. This event kicks off a week long Festival of Science and Engineering in San Diego. On Saturday, different museums throughout the Park offer specials (like kids 12 and under free with a paid adult) and activities to promote science. The institutions participating include: Japanese Friendship Garden, Marston House, Mingei Museum, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, San Diego Air and Space Museum, San Diego Museum of Man, San Diego Youth Symphony, Timken Museum and many more. Check out their website for more.
- Stand up for the community with Vibrant San Diego walk and rally. This community event is for anyone who believes in lessening our reliance on cars for transportation in San Diego. Meet on Saturday morning at 10am for a 1 mile walk to support the cause. Mayor Bob Filner will be there, along with advocates for health, environmental justice, climate and active transportation. Learn more here or share via Facebook!
- Go to Growing Public Art in Fallbrook Dinner and Workshop. This dinner supports public art in Fallbrook and gives attendees a chance to learn about upcoming public art plans and create a sculpture of their own. The dinner happens Sunday at 4pm. Learn more here.
- View the opening and closing of exhibits this weekend! The following close on Sunday: Masterworks in Metal, Ink, and Silk at SDMA, World of Watercolor at the Fallbrook Art Center, and the Latino Film Festival finishes their 10 day event. The following are opening this weekend: Origins of Life opens Saturday at the Reuben H. Fleet Center, Butterfly Jungle opens Saturday at the Safari Park, the Queer Artists Project in University Heights opens today, and James Chronister at the Lux Art Institute started yesterday.
- Drink up at the Epic Beer Festival today and tomorrow (March 15 and 16) at the Convention Center. There are over 200 beer samples…need I say more? Learn more here.
- Be amazed at the Paper Airplane Festival and Fly Your Ride! Finals on Saturday. Like paper airplanes? You’ll love learning the science behind how they fly and a chance to create the best airplane! You’ll also get a chance to watch the finals for the Fly Your Ride! contest with the best middle school and high school designs for cars that fly. Learn more here.
- Score some deals at the Golf Fest today and tomorrow (March 15 and 16). Happening at Oaks North Golf Course, this event gives you access to free prizes, discounts and playing time. Learn more here.
- Dig in to a Composting Workshop at the Living Coast Discovery Center. The workshop is on Sunday from 1 to 2pm, is free after admission and gives participants a chance to learn this great skill. Learn more here.
- Get cultured at the House of Ireland Lawn Program on Sunday from 2 to 4pm. Food, dance, drinks and fun included! Learn more here.
Have a great weekend!